I have such wonderful memories of my Sicilian grandmother making sheet pan pizza, or as you may call it, Sicilian pizza. My grandma was a really good baker and I always remember eating all of her cookies, spaghetti and of course Sicilian pizza.
My grandma cut the sheet pan pizza every time with scissors, which I always thought was so funny. I’m guessing she liked making sheet pan Sicilian style pizza because well it’s the size of a sheet pan, which is huge, and can feed a whole gang of people. With the gigantic family we have (my dad has 40 first cousins), it’s a no brainer to make this.
SUBSCRIBE for more great recipes:
MORE GREAT RECIPES
Cornbread Caprese Salad:
Farro Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette:
Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl with Falafel:
Kale Salad with Fried Goat Cheese:
Sheet Pan Sicilian Pizza Recipe
For the Dough:
5 cups of Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1 tablespoons of sugar
3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoons of yeast
1 ¾ cups of warm water (110° to 115°)
For the Toppings:
6 cloves of finely minced garlic mixed with 1 tablespoon of olive oil
½ cup of crushed tomatoes
8 ounces of shredded mozzarella
8 ounces of sliced mozzarella
¼ pound of crisp cooked bacon, cut into 2” pieces
10-12 pepperoni slices
¼ pound of raw loose sausage separated into chunks
1 sliced tomato
2 sliced domestic mushrooms
½ peeled and thinly sliced green pepper
¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese
15-20 basil leaves
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
prep time: 25 minutes
cook time: 14 minutes
resting time: 90 minutes
1. Dough: Preheat the oven to 500°.
2. Add all of the ingredients to standing mixer with the hook attachment or to a clean surface. Mix until combined and knead in a mixer on low speed for 2 to 3 minutes or by hand for 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Cover with a towel and let double in size, about 90 minutes.
4. Next, drizzle some olive oil onto your sheet pan that you will be cooking in, I used a 12”x18”x2” sheet pan. If you have smaller sheet pans, then divide the dough and make 2 pizzas or reserve the remaining dough in the freezer.
5. Form the pizza dough to the sheet pan so that it is completely covered.
6. Next, evenly spread on the garlic and olive mixture all over the pizza making sure to leave a 1” crust around the outside.
7. Evenly spread on the crushed tomatoes also leaving a 1” edge around the outside and then layer on as followed: shredded mozzarella, sliced mozzarella, bacon, pepperoni, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms, green peppers, parmesan cheese, basil leaves, salt and pepper.
8. Cook the pizza for 12 to 14 minutes at 500° or until browned and cooked through out.
9. Slice and serve!