Nigerian food : Ofe Owerri is a nutritious traditional soup;popular in the eastern part of Nigeria.
Ingredients for Ofe Owerri
– 2 large smoked fish (preferebly Asa Fish)
– 3 medium pieces Stock Fish
– 200 gr Assorted Beef
– 1 cup smoked prawns(use ground Crayfish as substitute)
– 4 cocoyam corms OR 2 cookingspoonful pounded Cocoyam paste(click to learn how to make cocoyam paste in a blender)
– 2 handful Okazi leaves( if you use dried okazi, grind in blender before use)
– 2 handful Ugu leaves OR Spinach Or Oha/Ora leaves
– 2 cooking spoonful Palm oil
– 2 Stock cubes
– Salt to Taste
– Pepper to Taste
Before cooking Ofe Owerri
** Wash and shred the vegetables and leave to strain in a collander/sieve.Set aside
** Boil the cocoyam corms until soft and pound/blend to form a paste.Set aside
** Rinse the Dried prawns and set aside
** Soak the smoked fish in hot water to soften it a bit, then wash thoroughly with hot water and carefully clean out the inside without breaking the fish to pieces. Set aside
**Wash the beef and the stock fish and place in a pot
Now to prepare the soup
*Season the meat and stock fish with stock cube,salt and any of your favorite meat seasoning. Pour enough water to cover it and leave to cook until tender. You can add more water if need be.
*Add the cleaned dried prawns, pepper, stock cube and palm oil.
Mix thoroughly and add the cocoyam paste, bit by bit. Cover and leave to cook until the cocoyam paste dissolve completely. Stir continously so that the soup doesn’t burn at the bottom.
* Add the smoked fish and boil for 3 minutes (adding the fish at this stage keeps it from breaking to pieces in the soup).
* Then add the Vegetables. If you are using dried okazi leaves, add this first, simmer for 5 minutes before adding the Ugu/Spinach/Oha leaves.
*Simmer for 3 minutes and add salt to taste, and your delicious Ofe Owerri is ready.
Ofe Owerri is usually served with Akpu(fufu), pounded yam or Eba, but you can also enjoy this rich soup with any other Nigerian bolus meals .
Other Related Nigerian food recipes
Okazi Soup / Ukazi Soup (Igbo style Afang Soup)
Nigerian Pepper Soup
Nigerian Ogbono Soup
Nigerian Egusi Soup(Obe Efo Elegusi)
Edikang Ikong Soup
Banga soup:Niger Delta Banga Soup/Stew
Bitter leaf Soup (Ofe Onugbu
Ofe Owerri : How to Cook Ofe Owerri Soup
Efo Riro Recipe
Nigerian Okra Soup
Egusi soup with bitter leaf
Royalty free music by Kevin Macloed www.imcompetech.com