Kanji vada is though an unusual drink but it tastes super scrumptious and refreshing. It makes a perfect spring drink.
Water – 2 liters (10 glasses)
Asafetida – 2 pinches (optional)
Turmeric Powder– 1 teaspoon
Red Chili Powder – ¼ teaspoon
Yellow Mustard – 1 tablespoon
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Black Salt – 1 teaspoon
Mustard Oil – 1 tablespoon
Green Gram (Moong dal) – 100 grams (1 teacup)
Salt – to taste
Oil for frying
1. Take water in a vessel and let in simmer on flame.
1. To make vadas, clean moong dal thoroughly and soak in water for 2 hours. Drain out the excess water later.
1. Let the water cool down and then pour into glasses or plastic container.
2. To it then add asafoetida, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, yellow mustard, salt, black salt and mix everything really well.
3. Close the container tightly with a lid and keep aside for 3 days. Stir the kanji everyday with a clean and dry spoon.
4. Kanji tastes great on the fourth day when all spices mix to the water. Tangy-zingy and yummy kanji is ready.
5. Grind the soaked moong dal in a mixture jar coarsely. Take out the dal in a mixing bowl and add salt to it. Whisk well.
6. Heat enough oil in a wok or pan to deep fry the vadas.
7. Pinch small ball from the mixture and drop it to the hot oil. Place 8 to 10 vadas in oil at a time or as many as possible.
8. Now deep fry the vadas till they get fluffy and golden brown from all sides.
9. Drain out the fried vadas on paper kitchen towels to remove excess oil.
10. Soak these fried vadas in lukewarm water for 15 minutes and then squeeze out the excess water.
11. Place 4 to 5 vadas in one serving of kanji. Serve and enjoy this soothing and refreshing drink.
Recipe in Hindi –
Recipe in English –
Kanji wada is a very tasty drink and aids digestion. Tangy kanji wada comes to the rescue when you have eaten too many sweets on festivals and don’t feel like eating anything else.
It is tasty and improves appetite. Kanji can be made at any time, especially on festivals. Let’s make kanji wada today!
Click here to read Kanji Vada Recipe in English
Click Kanji Bada Recipe Video in Hindi