A delicious dessert that looks soo good, no other decoration is needed and this makes it perfect for any occasion or family gatherings.
Makes about 8-10 servings
50 g (1/4 cup) +1 tbsp butter
7 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
75 g about 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
5 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp sour cream
Grated peel of 1 lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking powder
11 tbsp flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter a 10-inch(26 cm) round cake pan.
2. Peel apples and sprinkle lemon juice over them. Cut them into wedges,remove the core and slice.
3. Melt the butter in a sauce pan. Add 5 tbsp of sugar and cook until sugar dissolves and mixture turns golden brown. Pour the mixture in the prepared pan and arrange the apple slices. Sprinkle 2 tbsp of sugar and add 1 tbsp of butter cut in small pieces over the apples. Cook in the oven until you prepare the batter for the cake.
4. While the apples are in the oven prepare the cake batter. Separate egg whites from the egg yolks. Whisk together the flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.
5. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until well mixed. Beat in the egg yolks, sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Stir in flour mixture and mix well.
6. Whip egg whites until very stiff and firm. Fold them into the butter mixture.
7. Remove the apples from the oven and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Pour the batter over the apples and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
8. Remove the cake from the oven and let it stand for about 5 minutes.Then run a knife around the edges of the cake to loosen it from the sides of the pan and invert the cake onto a cake plate.
9. Can be served as it is or with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Full recipe here: